Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Boo. Goddammit.


When I was a wee lad, Halloween was the shit. Free candy? Just for putting on a cool costume that I got to choose for myself? Hell yes, please. I remember one year I was an awesome pirate, a golfer once, I went as the unknown comic one year, an English admiral one year (Royal Nay VEE), and one year, which was either 77 or 78, we made the greatest Darth Vader ever, out of a kids' police helmet, some black felt, a catcher's chest protector and shin guards, black shoes, a hockey mask with some screen-door shingles and black tape for that mouth thing, and a dark Navy nurses' cape of my Mom's.


No pictures. Sorry 'bout that shit. It was awesome, though. I think that was the same year that my other brothers (one fat, one thi) went as Price and Pride from the old A&P commercials. A little conceptual genius, If You Ask Me.


And the candy was always pretty cool. We went about five blocks or so in every direction and then hauled our stuff back home and put it all in a huge mound, then did a dive. And we always threw out the Pixie Stix (DETERGENT) and the apples (RAZOR BLADES) and by November 2, all we had left were the hard candies and and Almond Joys. (Hate that coconut shit.)


Now? Not so much. That orange guy up top is my favorite Halloween image I've seen lately. Although if I ever get asked to a party, I've got a great idea for a costume-Hawaiian shirt, slacks, slick back my hair to accentuate my forehead, put on sunglasses, and have my 300-pound ass go as Lou Pearlman.
Tee Hee.



2 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Blogger Stuart Shea said...

For the last few years Ceci and I have really enjoyed T&Ting with the Garibay kids. For them, Halloween is still the shiznit!

I think there's a picture of you somewhere in your Royal Nay Vee costume.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Tom said...

But not the Darth Vader costume, which was indeed the shiz.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home